Conover History A Brief History Of Our Town
The man for whom our town is named is Seth H. Conover, who came from Plymouth, Wisconsin, and was a prominent cheese buyer. Conover’s hobbies were fishing and hunting. He came to the Northwoods on the logging trains that the timber industry used to get wood to the mills of Central and Southern Wisconsin.
Seth Conover became quite friendly with some of the officials of the CNW Railroad and went on hunting and fishing trips with them. He was familiar with our area and felt that the location of present Conover was as close as possible to Big Twin Lake where he enjoyed fishing.
After stopping at the same place for several years, the railroad men began referring to it as Conover’s Place and decided to build a station there. In time it was formally designated Conover on the railroad maps.
In 1891, seventy-three acres of land were deeded to Seth Conover on Big Twin Lake and later became Lakota Resort. Guests to the resort were met at the rail station in Conover by a team and wagon for transport. Tourists came from the city and stayed for the season.
On January 3, 1907, the town of Conover was formally set aside from the town of Eagle River. Conover is truly a wonderful place to visit because of its natural beauty and rich past. Visit our town’s website: www.townofconover.com/community/about_us.php and read the entire story of our past.